Monday 11 May 2009

Bike test day that left me 'needing' a B-King

Some pics of me with the bikes I tried on the day I decided to get the B-King

Harley-Davidson Street Glide. New model, liked it, big vibes though and after the Goldwing (see below) I rode it like my old Sportster.... managed to get sparks off the undercarriage at 70mph then dropped it when I tried a slow speed u-turn. Oops.
Tons of attitude, crap suspension., outshone in every department by a Jap copy.
You either love it or loathe it... probably not for me (and I've loved Harleys for more than 30 years, I remember the launch of the XLCR and walking five miles as a teenager to see the one on display that was promoting a Brut competition to win one. Still love that bike but now know the reality of owning the old Sportster ironhead)


Honda Goldwing, (pictured behind the DN-01) loved it, easy to ride, obviously needs care when parking, a magic carpet that belies its huge bulk but a genius machine. Great radio too, stupendous price but worth every penny.

Honda DN-01. Like it or loathe it you have to admire Honda for making it a reality after the showbike. It looks brilliant, just needs a proper quick engine. It's the first bike I've properly grounded on a racetrack. The Honda guy was really cool about it and let me ride the Goldwing – I don't think he understood why I wanted to try it out anyway. Top people on the Honda stand at this press day in Bedfordshire.


Yamaha VMAX. Already mentioned here. Amazing machine. We should celebrate its existence. I love it but it's too costly for me (£16,000 in UK). On the day it was almost completely commandeered by some former TV Gladiator lass.. But much to her apparent upset, I got have a blast on the track.

And finally Suzuki's finest:

Suzuki VZR1800 (M1800). V twin super chop. I love this. Proper quick,it handles, turns heads. Buy one, if you can, test ride one just to say you've been there.



And then the B-King, pictured behind the VZR, a rarity still, as I've said here in these pages, I bought one just on the strength of 45-minute rides on each of these (the one I bought HERE). But the B-King is special, and it's a bargain.

And the Suzuki press folk are top notch too, sorting me some suspension info from their press set up boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment