Friday 21 May 2010

I rode the V-Max, here's why I bought the B-King (but I did like the M1800 too)

Suzuki B-King GSX1300 BK K8


Here's a quick recap for anyone new to this site, especially more than 200 newcomers who've downloaded the Ovi App for Nokia in the past three days.

The B-King remains the biggest bargain out there. In 20 years time it will be remembered and revered. It is unusual and special... and phenomenally fast.

I wrote this last June but two weeks ago I rode the V-Max 30 miles cross country at the same Bedfordshire test day. It is amazing, needs the same determined hand as any seventies superbike (flick bar slightly in the opposite direction to the bend just to bring her down initially) but the rewards are immense. I can not understand why the British bike press hates it so apart from their ridiculous love affair with all out sport machinery.

Anyway here's the original piece on which I based my decision to take on the B-King:

I rode the B-King and VMAX, on the same day last year and I fell for the B-King.



So, I bought one (if I'd have had the cash of that Remington bloke in the 1970s telly ads, I would probably have bought the company). 500 miles later, I still believe it sits quietly in my garage... remember that feeling?

It isn't just the cost that makes it so attractive, the B-King really is the fastest naked bike though I'm still constantly amazed at how much its looks are hated.

Compared with the VMAX, the B-King rides on more race-biased tyres and it handles superbly... this bike is easy to ride and flatters even average riders.

The VMAX is still amazing and the fact it even exists means we should all hanker after one in our garage.

It as easy to ride fast as the B-King, but cornering takes a little more forethought.
But remember,Yamaha wants 16 grand for one, that's twice the price... and the B-King's controversial looks mean it's still reasonably exclusive.

Buy a B-King and if you can afford a VMAX, buy two B-Kings so your mate (or missus) can keep up.

US tester Motorcyclist thought in a direct face off between the two machines the BK won.

In a straight drag race over the quarter (BK:10.13 secs, VM: 10.41s and in the 60-80mph roll on in top gear BK:2.49s, VM 2.66s).

Enough said then.


Some of the other bikes I tested the day I decided on the B-King.

Harley-Davidson Street Glide. New model, liked it, big vibes though and after the Goldwing (see below) I rode it like my old Sportster.... managed to get sparks off the undercarriage at 70mph then dropped it when I tried a slow speed u-turn. Oops.
Tons of attitude, crap suspension., outshone in every department by a Jap copy.
You either love it or loathe it... probably not for me (and I've loved Harleys for more than 30 years, I remember the launch of the XLCR and walking five miles as a teenager to see the one on display that was promoting a Brut competition to win one. Still love that bike but now know the reality of owning the old Sportster ironhead)


Honda Goldwing, (pictured behind the DN-01) loved it, easy to ride, obviously needs care when parking, a magic carpet that belies its huge bulk but a genius machine. Great radio too, stupendous price but worth every penny.

Honda DN-01. Like it or loathe it you have to admire Honda for making it a reality after the showbike. It looks brilliant, just needs a proper quick engine. It's the first bike I've properly grounded on a racetrack. The Honda guy was really cool about it and let me ride the Goldwing – I don't think he understood why I wanted to try it out anyway. Top people on the Honda stand at this press day in Bedfordshire.


Yamaha VMAX. Already mentioned here. Amazing machine. We should celebrate its existence. I love it but it's too costly for me (£16,000 in UK). On the day it was almost completely commandeered by some former TV Gladiator lass.. But much to her apparent upset, I got have a blast on the track.

And finally Suzuki's finest:

Suzuki VZR1800 (M1800). V twin super chop. I love this. Proper quick,it handles, turns heads. Buy one, if you can, test ride one just to say you've been there.



And then the B-King, pictured behind the VZR, a rarity still, as I've said here in these pages, I bought one just on the strength of 45-minute rides on each of these. But the B-King is special, and it's a bargain.

And the Suzuki press folk are top notch too, sorting me some suspension info from their press set up boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment